Wednesday 15 February 2012

Midge Ure at The Sage

Midge Ure
The Sage, Gateshead
11.2.2012

'Here we go!'

How time flies! It's nearly two full years since I last saw Ultravox on their highly successful reunion tour.
A new CD - and another tour - are due soon. Both are eagerly anticipated.

Meanwhile, it was good to see Midge again (albeit solo), this time at The Sage. With a cheery 'Here we go!' he started the evening with a powerful version of Waiting Days. The end of the song brought  enthusiastic applause. 'You’re easily pleased! That’s why I like coming here...', Midge quipped.

A big surprise followed. In reference to the ongoing Ultravox project, he said, 'Some weird stuff’s been going on since the last time I saw you...' before unexpectedly announcing 'I’m going to play you a song from that album now - but don’t tell the rest of the guys!'  That certainly ensured the audience paid full attention. The new song is a slow burning, soft and wistful ballad, which builds very nicely after a quiet start. He didn't announce the title, but it might well be This One, based on the recurring line:  ‘It’s hard to believe the time has come for this one, for this one...’ 

'Don’t tell the rest of the guys!'

Midge was on great form throughout the evening. His voice was strong and confident, his guitar playing exemplary and he seemed very happy and relaxed. There were various bits and pieces of witty banter, such as Midge revealing that he had '...a moment of realisation; I looked in the mirror and I think I’m losing my hair...'  Later, when a guitar string broke during Dear God, he said, 'That’s what I get for giving God a hard time’.

'Dear God'

The set list featured songs from all stages of his career.

Full set list

Waiting Years
This One (title unconfirmed)
Love’s Great Adventure
Lady Stardust
Fade to Grey
Wastelands
One Small Day
Lament
You Lied
Man of the World
Fields of Fire
Breathe (‘My Valentines gift to you all’)
Dear God 
No Regrets
Vienna
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes

Ready for the encore...

Encore:

All Fall Down
If I Was

The end of an excellent evening
It was a fine show and we now await further Ultravox news...

No comments: