Tuesday 2 October 2001

Archive: UNCUT! 1

The Sean Marsh Chess Column

UNCUT 1

Well, it took a long while but now it has happened. Yes, the internet is finally big enough for me to bother with and I have decided to dedicate my chess articles of the near future to this electronic medium.

As readers may know, this breaks a long run I had in ‘The Herald & Post’ (1985-2001). The paper has been a little inconsistent with the chess column over the last couple of years and I felt the time was right for a change. All I had to do was find the right website and make an approach....

In fact, Dave Richards had already kindly offered to put the column on-line, but I was reluctant to do so until I had access to the net myself. Then we connected and I called him to discuss terms. Luckily, he agreed to everything.

‘Don’t forget Dave, I want at least twice as much money as ‘The Herald & Post’ paid me.’

‘We’ll give you three times as much,’ he replied and I agreed at once.

It was only then that I remembered I didn’t ever get paid for my paper articles. Another get-rich scheme down the drain. Still, Dave kindly gave me some tips about placing bets over the net, so you never know.

‘Who do you fancy in the 2.30 at Redcar?’

‘None of them, they’re all horses,’ I replied. Looks like I’ve got a lot to learn.

Anyway, down to chess. I hope to produce an article on a weekly basis, just like I did for the paper, but this time there’s less chance of it being cut to ribbons. I want to write about all aspects of chess and will enjoy the greater scope offered by this medium. You can expect tournament reports, inside stories from league, cup and championship matches, wit and controversy. You might even expect a picture of me in the top corner when I find a suitable one. You can certainly expect this chess site to take its place as one of the best on the entire net. Just stay tuned and see.

Grandmaster In Local Events!

An important event is coming up very soon and all of you can take part. The Yarm School Festival of Chess will take place on 21st-22nd of September. On the Friday night, starting at 7.00 p.m., there will be a simultaneous display by Grandmaster Daniel King. He did a similar display last year and lost only to Redcar’s Jason Gentle after the latter brilliantly sacrificed a Rook. Can you do as well as Jason? If you don’t want to play, then why not come along and spectate? Just drop into Yarm School to join the fun.

On Saturday 22nd, there will be all sorts going on at the school. The main part is the 7th Yarm Schools team tournament, featuring Primary and Secondary school teams of four players. There will also be an individual senior tournament (format to be decided when entries received). All of this starts at 9.15 a.m. The Primary teams finish play around 2.30 p.m. And the other two sections will finish for 5.00 p.m. GM Daniel King will be present throughout the day to present lectures and coaching!

Spectators are welcome. Don’t miss this opportunity to enjoy the presence of a Grandmaster! Your support is important; if the Festival is a success there is a great chance of repeat next year.

Contact me for full details and entry forms.




No comments: